Cammy Duncan RIP.

Started by shinglis, May 02, 2017, 11:38:12

Previous topic - Next topic


Taken from the partner Facebook page.
Have just been told of the sad news that our former goalkeeper Cammy Duncan has passed away at the age of 51 after a battle with Cancer.
Will always remember the shock and despair when George Burley signed Cammy from Partick Thistle in a deal that took fans favourite Sammy Johnston to Firhill and the infamous 'Cammy for Sammy' headline in the Ayr Advertiser.
But he proved his value turning in many fantastic performances over the next six years and was genuinely one of the good guys.
RIP Cammy

Big D

Very sad news.

Cammy Duncan RIP.

Balloon Boy

RIP cammy, condolences to the family


Cammy Duncan
Ayr United goalkeeper, 1991 - 1996
Cammy Duncan was an outstanding goalkeeper and an outstanding gentleman. His passing away will see him mourned by many. He did not play for Ayr United in anything remotely resembling a 'Golden Age'. Neither was his style especially flamboyant. He could display breathtaking agility but he only did so when it was necessary. In summary, he was quite simply a thoroughly good goalkeeper.
His first senior club was Sunderland and, in later years, he claimed that his most memorable match was his debut for them in 1985-86. In 1987 he returned to his native Lanarkshire to sign for Motherwell. At a transfer fee of £60,000, he was sold on to Partick Thistle in 1989. In March 1991, at the age of twenty-five, his next move brought him to Ayr United in a swap deal for midfielder Sammy Johnston. Manager George Burley had been a player at Motherwell at the same time as Duncan and it was obvious that he rated him highly. Sammy Johnston had been a very good player for Ayr United and it said a great deal that Burley rated his new goalkeeper to be as valuable.
His Ayr debut came in a 2-2 draw at Brechin on 23rd, March, 1991, when the Ayr team was : Duncan, Burley, Love, Furphy, Gillespie, Kennedy, Fraser, Bryce, Graham, Shaw and Weir ; substitutes - Walker and McAllister. In the weeks ahead, relegation fears were banished. Then came a new season which had a startling opening. Four straight League wins were recorded at the beginning of 1991-92. In addition there was a Skol Cup run in which Dundee and St.Johnstone were eliminated prior to Hibs winning a quarter-final tie at Ayr. During this time, Cammy Duncan was in typically splendid form. Then, following a home match with Partick Thistle on the first Saturday of September, he was rendered unavailable through injury. After regaining his place, an even greater misfortune was to befall him. On 23rd November, 1991, while playing in a First Division fixture away to Meadowbank Thistle, he collided with team mate Nigel Howard. It was later diagnosed that he had suffered a ruptured cruciate at the back of the knee. During the next month, a surgeon at Monklands Hospital told him that his footballing days were over. A London surgeon disagreed. He claimed that with proper training and by building up his thighs, a comeback was viable. The comeback materialised when he appeared in pre-season friendlies in July 1992.
August 1992 involved a busy schedule of six League fixtures and a Skol Cup tie. In the last of these matches a point was picked up at Hamilton. There were times when Duncan looked to be facing an onslaught on his own. In a 1-1 draw, the Accies heavily outplayed an Ayr United team which should have been buoyant after beating Kilmarnock 2-0 the week before. His form was inspirational.
Cammy Duncan was adept at the art of withstanding an onslaught. On 9th January, 1993, while leading 2-1 at Dunfermline in a Scottish Cup tie, the home team piled forward in the desperate hope of forcing a replay. By reason of Duncan's form it remained precisely that.....a desperate hope ! There were other occasions in 1993 when the team lost despite his heroics. Games were narrowly lost which might otherwise have been heavily lost. An injury at Dunfermline in December of that year, meant that he was unable to guard the Ayr United goal again until 12th March, 1994, his comeback also being against Dunfermline. In time, recurring injury problems would further blight his career.
On being relegated to the Second Division in 1995, a lot of justified criticism was voiced by the supporters. Cammy Duncan escaped the criticism and he deserved to. In public, manager Simon Stainrod would unreservedly praise his goalkeeper but he was merely telling people what they already knew. Unfortunately, injury debarred Duncan from starting the 1995-96 season. He did go on to make a respectable number of appearances but the decision to free him at the end of that campaign was assuredly influenced by a failure to completely get rid of his injury woes. In the season ahead, he signed for Albion Rovers, his local club. In the intervening years he was spotted as a spectator at Ayr United matches.
He played 148 league matches for the club in addition to four in the Scottish Cup and six in the League Cup.